US based developers only, please...
I'm building an application to automate a process for a client using an IPhone. The process is rather straightforward, but involves communication to/from a SQL database (probably via a Web Service) and direct integration with the built in camera. Here's the basic process:
1. Start app.
2. App prompts you to take a picture of a bar code / piece of text that identifies the object.
3. App submits picture and other textual information to database server.
4. (In the background, while the rest of the process is happening:)
a. The server OCR's the text from the first picture and matches it with a piece of inventory.
b. When the app gets to the point of needing the identifying information, it will request it from the server.
5. The app prompts the user for additional pictures related to the object - probably 3-4 specific images, plus additional pictures if needed.
6. The app requests identifier information from the database to complete the "package" to be submitted.
a. If the server couldn't OCR the first image into identifiable text, it prompts the user for it.
7. The app submits all remaining pictures and confirmed identifier information to the database.
That's the basics. We don't have a clear outline of exact needs yet so are looking for someone to come alongside on the design/development process. This app may also be ported to additional devices in the future.
Please don't tell me you can "do the whole thing" for $X. You don't even know what the whole thing is yet...
Questions (if you don't answer these I won't even consider your bid/quote)
1. Have you developed IPHONE apps that integrate DIRECTLY with the camera (not uploading files, but direct camera integration)
2. Have you developed IPHONE apps that upload binary (image) content to a database via a web service
3. Have you developed IPHONE apps that can communicate (send/recieve) information to a SQL Server database connected to an ASP.NET web application / service.