The study of organizational behavior incorporates both the practical application of concepts as well as academic exploration. You are asked to write an article review of a scholarly article. You are asked to:
• introduce the author and the text,
• state the author’s main argument or purpose for writing the text,
• assess how the author supports this purpose or argument, and finally,
• analyze whether or not the author’s methods are effective.
Source: [url removed, login to view]
The objective of this is to explore a contemporary topic in organizational behavior that is of interest to you, to introduce scholarly writing, help you to learn to think critically about a topic, the theory(ies) behind it, and how the author presented it (among others.) Several articles are provided below. You may choose one of these.
The project is divided into three phases:
I. Annotated bibliography – three articles total. No more than two from the list below) and one from your own investigation ([url removed, login to view] is a good place to start. You will be able to download the article through the databases available at the SSU library.
2. APA citation of article. There should be three of these.
3. Final paper – The final, formal paper to APA standards. Please include APA citation(s) for the subject paper.
Suggested scholarly articles:
Choose no more than two from this list for your bibliography, one or more from your research on an area of personal interest.
1) Kurt Lewin and the planned approach to change: a re-appraisal
Bernard Burnes, Journal of Management Studies, 2004
MGT332-005 & 008
SEMESTER WRITING ASSIGNMENT Spring 2016
2) A model of creativity and innovation in organizations
Teresa Amabile, Research in Organizational Behavior, 1988
3) Ethical Blindness
Palazzo, Krings, and Hoffrage, Journal of Business Ethics, 2012
4) Leading with Meaning: Beneficiary Contact, Prosocial Impact, and the Performance Effects of
Adam Grant, Academy of Management, 2012
5) Antecedents and consequences of employee engagement
Alan Saks, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 2006
6) A hierarchical taxonomy of leadership behavior.
Gary Yukl, Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 2002
7) An article of your choice. To explore other articles, you can start at: www.scholar.google.com.
Use different keywords to begin. Often the article is referenced using other ‘keywords’ that can help in additional searches to narrow down a topic. Some listings include: “articles citing this article” which is also a good place to look for ideas. Please review articles you have identified with me prior to beginning working on them.
*articles are available in ‘files’ and linked to through the assignment folder on Canvas.
Please use APA format for all assignments. All assignments should include 1” margins, 12pt Times and
The Annotated Bibliography should list the title of the article and author(s) in the title as well as include the APA citation.
Your Review should be 3-5 pages in length plus citations and any charts or diagrams used (optional).
Information on Reviews of Scholarly Articles:
Depaul: [url removed, login to view]
How to Write a Critical Review of a Journal Article
[url removed, login to view]
General writing knowledge and APA format:
General: [url removed, login to view]
APA: [url removed, login to view]